Tuesday, February 24, 2009

College students are idiots

Last fall I worked at Nassua Community College in the ceramics studio. It was a great job, one that I wish I still had. Anyway I witnessed a disturbing trend. No one comes to the lab, or at least very few. This seems to last through the 1st half of the semester.

Last night I was subbing for the guy that took my slot. 2 people were there and were gone by 7. From 7 to 9:15 I was alone until a student came in to pick something up then left. I remained alone until 10, when a student aid came in to throw a pot.

What annoys me is that every student pays for that studio to be open, either through there taxes or their lab fees. They are pissing there money away. I ended up making use of the time as best I could. I watched a movie that featured wood firing called, Kamataki. While doing so I did some doodleing that I will use for some T-shirt contests.

But I just recall when I was a student at NCC learning pottery and how you couldn't get me, or many others out of the studio. Looking at the state of things now, it is a night and day difference.

Very sad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whoa first comment ever....thought this was actually pretty interesting...well here's my thought since this inter-web thing invites people to share their thoughts out loud to a gazzillion poeple....(this would sound better if sarcasm would work while i'm typing)

*they are still just students....thing back to when we were students, sure we were awesome, sure we were good at what we did..., we even read the books the professor assigned to us...but we're (back then) were still students....

sex, drugs and alcohol man!!!.....we dont care that we are paying for it...we think its still free....paying the interest rates on our student loans...screw that...i'll spend it on sex, drugs and alcohol..and occasional traveling......

-the one

Post a Comment